Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Plan...

My tour of Austin yoga will start in 2 weeks...why you ask? I'm running the Austin Half Marathon on the 20th of February and don't think it'd be the best idea to jump into a brand new project until it's over...

So, once the excitement of the marathon slows down I'll be ready to dive into my new project, testing out all of the studios in Austin to find the best teachers, most comfortable setting and really what I feel is the best atmosphere for a new yogi.

I have done yoga in the past and currently do it now, so I'm not a true beginner. I've got my headstand, can hold a pretty good warrior 3 and my bridge is getting close to a wheel...however everyone approaches yoga differently. Not just the poses but the mind set and mental aspect as well. Yoga is not just about stretching your body and helping it explore new ways to grow, but also to calm your mind and have you put into perspective the troubles that you face every day.

Currently, I'm a frequent visitor of Black Swan and love it! I'll do a review later but just want to make sure you all know it won't be part of the tour because I'm already familiar. I've also tried SunStone Yoga in the Triangle and in addition, my good friend and recently certified yoga instructor Sami Lipman has set up a once/week yoga class in our office. Again, I will cover all of these in later posts.

My "tour" thus far includes the following location and I urge any readers to help me set a schedule, narrow down, or check them out with me!
  1. Breath & Body - $20 for first week, $60 for first month
  2. Bodhi Downtown - $20 for first week
  3. Castle Hill Fitness Yoga - $20 for first TWO weeks
  4. Yoga Vida - $20 for first week
  5. Eastside Yoga Coop - $45 for first month
  6. Yoga Groove - $20 for first TWO weeks
  7. Dharma Yoga - $30 for 4 classes in one month (a little confusing)
  8. Empower Yoga - $20 for first week
  9. Austin Kula Yoga - 6 classes for $65 to be used in 2 months (again a little confusing)
  10. PURE Bikram Yoga - $49 for month
  11. Yoga Yoga - must purchase class package 9 for $110 (ehh, not super convincing)
  12. Austin Yoga Institute - 6 classes for $120 ( not much option for trial)
  13. Sundara Yoga - $25 for first week
Again, I encourage any friends to join me as I move forward on this initiative, come with me to one or two, or join me the entire time!! I'd love guest bloggers to provide their thoughts as well. I'll try to fill in the holes of my experience thus far as I get through the marathon before I start these classes.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Please note that my #2 studio, Bodhi Downtown has changed names and is now BFree Yoga Studio.

    ReplyDelete