Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sunstone Yoga

For my first review I'll go ahead and cover a studio that I tried through a Living Social Deal. It was $30 for a month unlimited, they have a variety of classes that are all based on the elements, so they call them Earth, Fire, Water, etc. They are based out of Dallas, TX but I went to the location at the Triangle in Austin.

I tested out the Fire, Wood and Earth classes, and found that Earth was the only one I really liked. Fire was a 98 degree class and that is too warm for me so I only went once...Wood was good definitely more like pilates than yoga. Earth is what you would think of as a typical power yoga class so it was my favorite.

The entire month I only had 2 different instructors...and wasn't super impressed with them. They were a little rigid and not very helpful, I never received an adjustment during my practice or any real guidance as far as improving my poses. They were not very "good" at their practice either as far as I can tell from what I've seen. So, the classes themselves were fine, definitely a step-up from the ones at Gold's Gym (duh) but not near the caliber of others.

Now for the facility, etc. They had a locker room which was nice, with showers, towels, etc. but it wasn't always very clean. The mats and towels were complimentary and there were always enough but the towels were a bit ratty, many had holes in them and were fraying at the edges...it would probably be worth it for them to invest in some new towels. I like the rooms, they had carpeting instead of wood or concrete floors so that helped for the poses on our knees and elbows.

Overall, it was a fine experience, I don't know that I would pay their pricing structure, especially with some of the iffy things I mentioned above. As far as marketing, they never followed up with me after my trial or tried to get me to sign up...bad business but I appreciate not being bothered! If there is another deal and you want to try yoga, go for it, but I wouldn't suggest a membership there.

Ratings:
Classes: 2/5
Facility: 3/5
Overall Experience: 2/5

Website: http://www.sunstoneyoga.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment