Search This Blog

Sunday, July 17, 2011

First Impression: Yoga Groove

Last week I signed up for my 2-week trial at Yoga Groove, and I have to admit I just don't like Bikram yoga. I'm not going to blame this totally on the studio but I really prefer Power Flow and Vinyasa style yoga so I don't know that I will continue with this studio, nor others that offer only Bikram yoga. If you want those write-ups you may have to find someone who loves it!

I had done Bikram previously but maybe only once or twice, and this experience just made me want to shun it forever. For some reason my body just did not cooperate with me and I left with symptoms mirroring those of heat exhaustion...chills, black out, etc. It was probably my fault for going to a 5:30pm class on a 100 degree day that was packed full, but still very unfortunate :(

However, I do want to talk to the studio. Yoga Groove is very large and almost comes across as corporate. I got a key card for just doing the 2-week trial! When I showed up it was a little hectic, I'm not sure if the woman at the front desk was new or what, but since class was starting I needed to leave my credit card with her so she could properly register me. As I walked in I saw that there was a nice locker room and rooms for massage...so I think they do those as well?

With the trial period you could get a mat and towel without being charged, but moving forward for members it is $1 each for rental, not too bad but no smaller towels...and you will need them. The studio was carpeted which I'm not a huge fan of, and I think that made it even more hot. I am well aware Bikram is supposed to be 105 degrees, but it was closer to 120...the instructor opened the doors and turned it down about half way through so that was more bearable.

Our instructor was Erin, and I have to admit that she was kind of harsh with the way she conducted the class. To me yoga is spiritual, relaxation mixed with strength and flexibility training but her voice and demeanor was similar to a boot camp instructor, and it wasn't very peaceful. I wasn't a fan of this style, she also stood on a pedestal above the rest of the class so that was kind of odd too.

Overall, I can see fans of Bikram liking the schedule since there are a lot of options for classes, the large facility and the open nature of the facility. Personally it's not my cup of tea, so I'll most likely skip any of the Bikram studios on my plan after now :( Sorry to disappoint but the experience just wasn't what I'm looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment