Search This Blog

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Breath & Body Instructors: Sami and Desirae

As you may have noticed I've chosen to try out the different instructors and classes at BBY. Writing about each one individually would cause me to get behind in my blogging so I'll continue to review two at a time. The two following instructors were both amazing. There was a similarity between Sami, Kaley and Desirae, which I'm sure is attributed to the fact that Sami and Kaley went through training at BBY, and Desirae is the owner!

Sami -

Sami is fairly new to teaching yoga (she got her certification in December) but she teaches like a seasoned professional. Her class was at 6:30am which I loved!! It was a new class that was recently added and I'm a big fan. Sami took this into consideration and made sure that we got the most out of our hour. She led the class so that it would prepare us for the week ahead. The opening and twisting poses really woke me up.  I was surprised that an hour went by so quickly since most of the classes I've been taking lately have been an hour and a half.

Sami is very consistent with her instruction, which is helpful for those of us who aren't as familiar with the poses and flow patterns. She always speaks through each pose and makes sure to notice if anyone isn't doing it properly...she doesn't call them out but reiterates to the entire class how to make corrections. She talks through corrections and adjustments the entire time which improves my practice and technique. Even those who feel confident in their poses benefit from the reminders! Her music choices were fun and upbeat and went with the speed of the class. I saw similarities between our corporate class with Sami and the studio class - but the studio class was definitely more challenging...she was in her element and it was fantastic! Added bonus: we got lavender towels on our foreheads!

Desirae - 

I learned a new yoga word today in Desirae's class, and it is "cadence". As I explained to Sami how I enjoyed the way that Desirae spoke throughout the class and how I was impressed by her points of inflection and the ease of her instruction, she informed me that it's known as cadence and it's a skill that all yoga teachers strive to perfect. It was motivating! As I explained in the intro, Desirae is the owner of BBY and I was told ahead of time that she had just gotten back from a bootcamp in Hawaii...so she was ready to kick our butts!

The class was definitely a challenge, whew. I really liked the integration of ab work into the class as it set the tone for the core work that comes from the flow portion of the class. She seemed to stay one step ahead of us as far as the next pose or adjustment was concerned, which I liked because it allowed us to go through the vinyasas and keep breathing at our own pace. Desirae knows her stuff, and it was obvious that others feel the same...she had many of the other instructors in her class as well as the most people I've seen attend a BBY class since I started!


I know I have yet to experience every instructor at BBY, but I am confident that I will enjoy and feel challenged by each and every class to come based on what I've seen so far :)

No comments:

Post a Comment