Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Breath & Body Instructors: Omar and Kaley

Every class I've taken at BBY has been awesome - these two included! Each of these two instructors has their own style and definitely made their classes unique. Again, I'm impressed so far with the BBY staff and cannot wait to practice with the remainder of the instructors during my trial period.

Omar:

His class was a little 'easier' (still very challenging) than the others I've taken, but I think it's because he seems to have a much more relaxed approach to his class. I would say that Omar has the best "mat-side" manner that I've ever experienced...he seemed to remember everyone's name and use that to call out adjustments in the class. This was great because you knew that you needed to pay close attention to that change and didn't have to look up or lose focus. I liked the floor work that we did, it was a good closing to the class after the heavy flow portion.  We also did a lot of optional inversions which I liked (handstands!). My only critique, and this is a personal preference, is that he didn't have any music and I prefer music during all exercises.

At the end of the class during our final meditation (I always forget the fancy name) he came around and put cool lavender cloths on our foreheads...this was sweet! I did learn that they try to do this if there is time at the end of each class, but it was a nice surprise. I have to say that during a morning or daytime class it wouldn't be as great, but at 8pm when you are preparing to go home for shower/dinner/bed it feels wonderful.

Kaley:

Tonight I took Kaley's class, and loved it. At the beginning she let us know that it was a basics class, which meant less flow, so I was hoping it was still challenging...and oh was it. She did a great job explaining at the start of the class why the basics are important and that many times it is more challenging because you are holding poses longer and really focusing on the technique. She continued to remind us throughout to keep our bellies tucked in which was a nice change. Many people tell me that yoga is great for the core, but I have a fairly strong core to begin with so I don't notice...but by being consistently reminded it made me realize that I just haven't been focusing my muscle energy properly to feel it.

The class was great for me because it was more light-hearted than some. Kaley was conversational while still instructing consistently. She made us feel that although yoga is a serious practice and it is important to focus that it is still just yoga and to have fun with it. I liked her choice of music (Edward Sharpe) and walked out feeling refreshed. I look forward to trying out one of her classes that focuses on flow and power!

______
One more thing I noticed about the studio tonight. I think that for trial periods, even for those who have done some yoga, it would be good at the beginning of the class to know if the instructor thinks we'll need a block, strap, blanket, etc. I have noticed that in each class the individuals gather a number of these things (haven't needed any until tonight) and because I'm new to these instructors it isn't something I'm prepared for. Just a thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment