Search This Blog

Monday, March 21, 2011

Breath & Body Yoga: Final Rating

I have officially completed my month-long trial period at BBY. I have to say that it was an enjoyable month that sped by. My experience was with various instructors which I think was absolutely necessary to get a good grasp on the studio, their teaching methods and their techniques.

My initial positive reaction to the classes at BBY only got stronger as I continued. Each and every teacher was intelligent, attentive and well-trained. The classes were very challenging and I never left feeling as if I didn't get a good power yoga workout, and although I was scared of 1.5 hours to begin with, not I don't know how they cram any yoga into an hour...must be very challenging for the teachers. I'm not sure how to explain it but the classes had a great flow...we started out slowly with stretching and warm-up, moved into very intense poses (inversions, etc.) then ended with floor work including hips, back, etc.

I will definitely give credit to Desirae for not only being a fantastic teacher but also constantly parlaying her knowledge on to the other instructors that work for her. You can tell they are well aware of the human muscular and skeletal systems and have a good knowledge of how to do proper adjustments and corrections. In addition, the mental awareness came very easily in each of the classes. The message and intent for each of my sessions was well guided and spot on. For example, one morning there was construction right out the window and Desirae used it as our "music" and as a way for us to re-focus our practice on the poses instead of the environment around us.

As you know from past posts I rate the classes, the facility and my overall opinion of the studio. BBY has a small facility and that was a bit disappointing at times, for example, because there was only one bathroom and the shower was back inside the studio, so I didn't know if it was for students...I knew I'd have to go home after class instead of right to work in the morning. This can definitely be a negative for some, I luckily could balance around that since I live close, but others may not have that luxury. However, the studio was always very clean and tidy, with water available for purchase and through a cooler, in addition to small towels that were complimentary to use.

What I did notice is that if you forgot a mat or towel (the good yoga kind) you did have to pay to rent them. I think the prices are high enough at BBY that they could lend them to people. The type of individuals that I witnessed practicing there were fairly seasoned so I think everyone owned a mat...and if they forgot one it should be easy to borrow once in awhile. The prices for rental were $2 for each.

Overall, I had a fantastic experience at BBY. They are knowledgeable and I completely trusted their judgment. The teachers seem to be learning and improving all of the time through workshops, traveling, etc. and it's good to know they aren't working with old material.  I definitely think that the option of having a one month or one week unlimited as a new student is ideal. Some/most studios offer just a week or 10 days and I found that I did get somewhat "attached" to the teachers I met and the style...there is definitely an emotional tie to yoga!

Ratings:
Classes: 5/5
Facility 3/5
Overall: 4.25/5 - classes hold a little more weight for me

It'll be hard to get a perfect score out of me, but here I go...the next stop BFree Yoga Downtown.

1 comment:

  1. Yay Breath & Body! My heart, home, and soul! BTW - there is a shower, it's in the small room in the back of the studio. :)

    ReplyDelete