Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

First Impression: Castle Hill Yoga

I started Castle Hill "yoga" today but don't be confused, all of the specialty classes, etc. are still under the umbrella and in the same building as Castle Hill Fitness. To be honest, I was completely confused before I got there and it didn't get much clearer once I arrived.

Castle Hill Fitness is like an exercise city, it is windy and there are rooms, doors and random pieces of equipment everywhere, very Austin. To that point though, the yoga rooms are only 2 out of all that is going on at CH. Now, this can be good and bad. The perk is that you get the full locker room which is older but has all  of the goods (hairdryer, towels, soaps, hair products, etc.) which is beneficial for showering after class. The negative is more a personal thing in that I already have a gym, so I'm looking to join a yoga studio.

As I said, I'm still a little confused at how it all works, but I believe with my trial class pass (1st timers get 50% off 10-class pass = $66) I can use the fitness facilities too but cannot attend other specialty classes and just yoga? They also have "community classes" for a drop in $7 where you don't need a membership at all, so I don't know that getting the class pass is really worth it?

As far as the schedule goes, there are options I have on Saturday and Sunday but during the week there are really only 2, the 6:30am Ashtanga Mysore and the 6pm Vinyasa Flow classes, that I can make. I'm disappointed at that...especially after the Mysore class this morning. What Mysore means is that you basically show up and kind of just go through the poses by yourself while the instructor watch/gives you some hints, but doesn't lead the class. The reason I take classes is because the instructors know more than I do!! I can see how some would like the peace and the calm that comes with going at your own pace...but it's not worth the cost and not really my preference.

I'm looking forward to trying the Vinyasa Flow class and possibly some of the Community classes on the weekends. I think moving forward if I were to do CH (again I've only been once) I'd just go on a class by class basis, similar to Black Swan. Who knows though...I could change my mind, I have 9 classes left to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment